00:25:03- - 8.61 MB
Stan Masamitsu not only inherited a thriving business in a dynamic industry, he has also been imbibed, through his parents, with a heart and mind veered towards helping other people—albeit initially, Stan’s intention of joining non-profits was to publicize his company. But to Stan, being able to contribute in a charitable way has had its greater fulfillment.
“As I was getting involved in some of these non-profits I have personal satisfaction in knowing that I could be of assistance to somebody,” he said.
Stan is the brain behind Tony Group Autoplex, Hawaii’s first auto mall. Stan conceptualized, built, and relocated dealerships into the complex, which began servicing the public in 2001. He was named “40 under 40” Business Leader of the Year by Pacific Business news in 2006. In 2007, Stan is nominated for the Time Magazine Quality Dealer Award.
In this Greater Good Radio exclusive, Stan talks about the pros and cons of being the “boss’ son” and how he has proved himself worthy of being the company’s top honcho. He also shares the value of being able to physically be in contact with his employees, which number to more than 500 individuals.
“I don’t have an opportunity to talk to a lot of customers on a daily level so what I end up doing is more trying to have a connection with the people I work with so they basically become the extension of me,” he said. “Just walking around or going on lunch with them or publicly recognizing them with something good that they did.”
All these and more only here on Greater Good Radio. And have your copy of The Greater Good: Life Lesson’s From Hawaii’s Leaders signed on Tuesday, November 13 at 6pm at Barnes & Noble Ala Moana, and Saturday, November 17 at 12.00pm at Borders Ward Ave.
For more information, please visit www.greatergoodbooks.com.
Watch Konishiki, former sumo wrestling champion and founder of the Konishiki Kids Foundation, today, November 10, at 4.30pm on KGMB9.
LOS GATOS HONDA, Los Gatos, CA and SOUTH COAST ACURA, Costa Mesa, CA. Management Trainee (1992-94)
· Positions held include Salesperson, Detailer, Parts Counterperson, Parts Warehouseperson, Parts Driver, Cashier, Receptionist, Business Office Clerk, and Customer Service Coordinator.
TONY HONDA, Aiea, HI. Assistant Used Vehicle Manager (1994-95), Finance Manager (1995), Sales Manager (1995-96)
TONY GROUP, Waipahu, HI. President (1996-Present).
· Restructured company to divest unprofitable entities to focus on core businesses (1998-2000).
· Consolidated Hawaii operations into one contiguous location (2000).
· Conceptualized, built, and relocated dealerships into Hawaii’s first auto mall, Tony Group Autoplex (2001).
· Member of Volkswagen’s Wolfsburg Crest Club (2003) and winner of Honda’s President’s Award (2004), the respective manufacturers’ highest dealership honor for overall excellence.
· Expanded Autoplex and opened Tony Hyundai (2004) and Autoplex Car Wash (2005).
· Pacific Business News’ “40 Under 40” Business Leader of the Year (2006)
· Hawaii’s #1 volume Honda (2001, 2003-06), Volkswagen (2001-2006), and Hyundai (2005-2006) dealerships. Nissan sales volume rank amongst the top 50 retailers in the U.S. (2005-2006).
· Time Magazine Quality Dealer Award, Hawaii nominee (2007)
UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA, Los Angeles, CA (1987-90; 1991-92). B.S., Business Administration with emphasis in Management and Human Resources.
WASEDA UNIVERISTY, Tokyo, Japan (1990-91). Exchange student.
NATIONAL AUTOMOBILE DEALERS ASSOCIATION (NADA) DEALER CANDIDATE ACADEMY, McLean, VA (1993). 1-year work/study course divided into 6 1-week sessions covering all phases of automotive dealership operations and management.
YOUNG PRESIDENTS ORGANIZATION (YPO), HAWAII CHAPTER. Member (1999-Present).
HAWAII AUTOMOBILE DEALERS ASSOCIATION (HADA). Director (1999 to Present).
LEEWARD YMCA. Board of Managers (2000-Present), Annual Support Campaign Chairperson (2004-05), Capital Campaign Chairperson (2005).
MUSCULAR DYSTROPHY ASSOCIATION (MDA) HAWAII. Executive Committee (2001-Present), Executive Committee President (2005-2006).
TONY GROUP FOUNDATION. Treasurer (2002-Present).
HONOLULU JAPANESE CHAMBER OF COMMERCE. Member (2005-Present).
HONOLULU COUNTRY CLUB FOUNDATION. Board member (2006-Present).
Family moved to Hawaii from Japan at 7 (fluent in Japanese). Married with 2 children. Enjoy playing golf and basketball.
Tony Hawaii Automotive Group
Listen on Youtube: